A bit about me

I am an Elementary Education Student at the University of South Alabama. I plan to student teach and graduate in the fall of 2011. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for over seventeen years and we have three wonderful children. I hope to be the kind of teacher I want for my own children and I am learning all I can to be my best.

Technology In The Classroom

"...a good teacher who lacks the ability to use technology effectively is not as good as she/he could be using technology." Dr. John Strange

As the use of technology increases in our world, educators must model its uses in the classroom and expose all students to as many useful technological applications as possible. Students who learn and interact using computers will feel more comfortable and free to research, explore, and create electronically. Assignments, projects, and even communication are part of our daily business world and students who have experienced these in the classroom will be more prepared when they enter the job market.
The use of blogs in the classroom provides opportunities for students to connect with students all over the world. Communication with students from other countries and cultures is a very real way to learn about the diversity of people everywhere. The internet can facilitate a child's natural curiosity to expand beyond the four walls of the classroom. This curiosity could help the teacher identify the child's passions. Then the child's own interests become a teaching tool, allowing the teacher to instill the importance of learning, researching, and communicating conclusions. These skills are intrinsic to the education process, and having this kind of knowledge will serve our students well in our society.